The Forest Research Institute was precursor of the Forest Science Institute of Vietnam, which was established in 1961. The Forest Research Institute developed from 1961 to 1971, then divided in to three institutes (Forestry Institute 1972-1988, Forest Industry Institute 1974-1988, and Forest Economic Institute 1981-1988); and finally consolidated in to The Forest Science Institute of Vietnam from 1988 to now.
On Nov. 25th
2011, the Prime Minister issued Decision No. 2099/QĐ-TTg on the
structure and operation of the Vietnamese Academy of Forest
Sciences (VAFS) as a special scientific organization under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD). The MARD promulgated Decision No. 1149/QĐ-BNN-TCCB dated May 18th 2012 on stipulating functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of VAFS and Decision No. 1656/QĐ-BNN-TCCB dated July 16th 2012 on stipulating the regulations and the operation of the Vietnamese Academy of Forest Sciences.
Implementing scientific research, technology transfer, post-graduate training, international cooperation, advisory services and business regarding forest research, development and extension in Vietnam.
a) Advising the
Minister on the strategic direction of forest research for the
long term, including a five year plan, and for annual program to
address identified forestry issues requiring research,
technological development and implementing of these approved
b) Basic and applied research in various fields of forest science including:
- Silviculture and ecology of the tropical forests of Vietnam;
- Techniques and technologies for planting, rehabilitation, enrichment, improvement, and promotion of natural regeneration for the sustainable management of Vietnamís forest resources;
- Processes for the conservation of genetic improvement of native plants and native animals;
- Tree breeding to improve forest genetics, including management of seed orchards and seed stands, selection of forest seed, storage and preservation of seeds;
- Improving and applying bio-technology in forestry;
- Determining the physiological and ecological characteristics of individuals and populations of forest plants; developing forest ecological restoration methods and the protection and conservation the specific forest ecosystems;
- Development of methods for sustainable forest land use;
- Evaluation and prediction of the environmental impact on forests of climate change and environmental monitoring;
- Operational techniques for cultivating, planting, harvesting, processing and preservation of non-timber forest products;
- Forest protection processes to minimize or reduce the impacts of pests, insects and fire on forests;
- Developing forest policy with respect to forest economics, natural resource management, environmental protection, marketing of forest products and the socio-economic benefits for forest dependent communities;
- Developing and mechanizing producing systems for forest nurseries, field operations including planting, managing, harvesting and transportation, and for the processing and preserving forest products.
c) Conducting key scientific and technological studies at a National level
d) Evaluating technologies and economic key state-level forestry projects.
e) Developing technologies in forestry.
f) Developing national prescriptions, procedures, economic and technical standards and economic evaluations related to forestry.
g) Post-graduate training Doctoral and Masterís candidates, and improving the human resources in forest science in accordance.
h) International cooperation and membership of organizations involved in scientific forestry research and developing networks with similar organizations and their scientists.
i) Technology transfer and extension of research results for practical application in forestry and natural resource management.
j) Undertaking consultancies as required.
k) Assessing, monitoring and evaluating programs.
l) Publication of books, journals, of a scientific, technological and environmental nature for wider circulation of information, and the maintenance of a website.
m) Undertaking the duties relating to CITES.